This module offers students profound insights into empirical research with a particular focus on business research. Sound methods of gathering data, their empirical evaluation and assessment by research scrutiny deliver a sound design and structure. In addition, Research Methods introduces to research strategies and acknowledged methods constituting what makes reliable and valid studies. This module will further guide students towards a sound design of their thesis. Students will have to develop a planning and prepare their thesis by reflection on advantages and disadvantages of particular research strategies, analyse the requirements involved in the research process, and demonstrate their understanding of empirically valid and reliable research, which is presented in the thesis research proposal (practice-oriented, applied research) with tutors’ support.
What will I learn?
- Demonstrate their knowledge of the need for a defensible fit between the nature of practice-oriented problems in empirical research and its methods of inquiry investigating those problems and of means for securing the essential fit
- Be capable to select between different designs for addressing a research problem and be mindful of central distinctions in data collection, analysis & reporting
- Be capable of applying tests of quality & appropriateness to different research proposals and designs
- Demonstrate an awareness of research methods and their potential impact on the reception afforded to research efforts
- No special requirements needed once a student was accepted for the overall MBA program. For the MBA program a student need to complete the MBA Common courses and the specialized courses.